At the AK Math Academy, we believe just two weeks of summer math instruction can help students to stay ahead in their mathematics instruction. Held right before school begins, students will practice and learn concepts they will see later in school. Our goal is to prepare our students to have a successful year in their school math classes. Using hands-on and active instruction, students will learn how useful and practical math really is.
Who: The AK Math Academy is an independent, non-profit school that runs from July 23 to August 3, 2018. Enrollment this summer will be limited to incoming 4th and 5th grade students.
Where: The Academy is held at Aquarian Charter School, 1705 W 32nd Ave, Anchorage, AK 99517. The cross street is Minnesota Blvd and 32nd Ave, behind the City Diner restaurant on Minnesota and Benson Blvds.
How long: The Academy meets from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm M-F. There is a short morning and afternoon break with a longer lunch break with a recess.
How large are the classes: The classes are kept small, only 24 students per class to ensure that your student receives the attention they deserve.
What does a day look like: Our goal is to make math engaging and fun! The following are used to achieve this aim:
- use of hands-on manipulatives to make math concepts visual
- students learn math by talking about math, so small group work will be stressed
- students will build small projects in their small groups
- students will go on at least two field trips to explore math in in the "real world"
- there will be a professional visitor to talk to the students about the importance of math
- and even more...